Tuesday, January 16, 2007

God Save the Queen!

I love pretty much everything about England. Perhaps not the teeth or the lack of clothes dryers - why any country that deals with daily rain showers would ever rely on 'hanging the clothes out to dry' as a laundry method instead of a dryer (they have them they just don't get used often it seems) is beyound me - but other than that...I'm a complete Anglophile. (Wow that was a long sentence with quite a few grammatical errors I'm guessing!) Anyway, couple of months ago I Netflixed a BBC show I had come across while researching Mr. Darcy - or the lastest Mr. Darcy, Matthew MacFadyen, if you prefer. Anyway, I decided after little to no hesitation to obtain the program at any cost. But obtaining the DVD and watching said DVD are two completely different issues. So after sitting on my desk for 2 months (arrivied 11/4/2006), I finally popped in the disc and sat mesmerized for the next 4 hours.
Now I should take a moment to confess that I normally go for cheesy spy stuff like Bond, the Pink Panther films, or even seasons of "Alias". (Come on...other than Victor Garber, do you think any of them could really be spies?) But this show actually seems to portray, in a more real sense, the life of a spy. And what a fascinating life it is and a lot more complicated than I even imagined (and I daydream about convoluted situations all the time...really).
So, if you are looking for an interesting hour long - yes this is the BBC and when they have an hour long series get this - the episode lasts of a whole hour - spy drama that not only deals with MI-5, but also the personal lives of its people, I recommend "Spooks" or "MI-5" depending on what country you live in. It is worth the time and each ep has a commentary track. And in case you are interested...Matthew MacFadyen met his wife on this show - that's her in the pic!

No comments: