Tuesday, September 20, 2005

You Can't Always Get What You Want...

Well, as the wise philospher Mick Jagger sings, "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, well you might find you get what you need." To be honest, today started awful, but in the end, often you do get what you need even if you had no idea what that actually means. Not only did I cry over something that wasn't life or death, but I cried on the phone to both of my parents. Once again the indifferent and apathetic financial aid office has found a way to catch me by surprise and blow me over. I will spare the details, but needless to say the morning didn't go well. However, I have good friends that know me quite well and parents that dig me out of any jam that I get myself into. Lord only knows why I am this lucky.
In true northwest fashion my mood was lifted by a good cup of coffee at Starbucks. The weather even cooperated enough to allow sunshine for the whole afternoon. As if that wasn't enough I got taken to a free movie. I mean, what movie freak could ask for anything more. At this point, I'd like to take a moment to relate how much I am looking forward to the new Johnny Cash biopic. I have seen the preview for Walk the Line twice now on the big screen and I can't wait to see the film. After a horrid summer at the movies, I am looking forward to a better fall. Let's face it folks...it really can't get worse.
But I digress...Lord of War (the film I was treated to tonight) turned out to be phenomenal and disturbing. The man who brought us Gattaca, an interesting look at the future, and wrote The Truman Show and The Terminal, two films I have seen more times than I care to admit, has done it again. Although this time, the material Andrew Niccol elequently provides hits closer to home and makes you really begin to wonder about the world we are living in and leaving for our children (in my case, though, the latter remain hypothetical of course). Perhaps, to save my sanity, I will simply block it out and try and recall the joyous feelings produced by Just Like Heaven only a few days ago, however I unfortunately know that will solve nothing. Therefore I leave you dear readers (again hypothetical of course) with the sentiments from another movie that makes you wonder about the times in which we live...Trainspotting...don't worry I didn't include any of the cussing just yet...I'll save it for later this fall. If only it was that simple!
"Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a f*cking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage..."
-Mark "Rent-Boy" Renton
(sorry I lied about the cussing...)

1 comment:

Crystal Jordan said...

Hey girl!
This is funny stuff. So glad to have hauled you onto my band wagon. I'm going to Gatlinburg this weekend. AKA the Tahoe of the east.