Monday, October 10, 2005

Caledonia has been everything I've ever had...

Recently, my exiled best friend - which from now on will be refered to as C - and I had a good laugh over the despicable names of trashy crap novels. Well the titles and the horrid names of the characters. I have some that have really special names. For example...exhibit A (the photo to he left)...I mean who title's their book Devil in a Kilt. Even I didn't really want to read this one and as any of my friends will tell you, I will read anything that has 'kilt' in the title or shows a well sculpted Scotsman on the cover. It is kinda sad...I am really that shallow and easy to please. (If only I could find a real life one!!) However, regency books are no better. I give you The Dutiful Rake, The Unlruly Chaperon, His Lady Mistress, One Little Sin, The Devil You Know, Devil's Bride, The Virtuous Knight, Wedding for a Knight, and The Devil to Pay. Perhaps I will later discuss my passionate hatred of "devil" in titles. Right now the agony is too raw for words.
Now I understand that the authors normally don't get to name their books, so the blame for the horrible titles often doesn't rest on their soldiers. But half the time I don't understand where they come up with the names. I mean some of the names these authors come up with are insane. Who names a female character Jacquetta DeNevers, Jonet, or Eada. Unfortunately, these three are only a drop in the bucket. The men's names are often worse. I give you Hacon, Drogo, Connall, and Cathal. And the over use of twins in some of these novels is not helped by naming Lucien and the other Damien. Why would anyone want twin devil sons. We won't even go into their last names. It is just all a bit too painful. To add insult to injury I don't even know how to pronounce some of these. I am a grad student for goodness sake...I should at least be able to pronounce names in romance novels.
There are a few exceptions to this rule, namely the Slightly series by Mary Balogh. Her Bedwyn clan all have bizarre names including Wulfric, Rannalf, Alleyne (who a friend and I simply call 'Big Al'), and Freyja. However, Balogh explains the excentric nature of the names and makes fun of it a bit. Gotta respect that one. Stay tuned for tomorrow's discussion of the over use of the name Duncan and Alec. Should be a doosie!!

No comments: