Sunday, October 09, 2005

I only wanted to help it see straight...


So I think I have found the best name album winner of this year. I have only recently discovered this guy from Alberta, but he does have a way with the naming if albums. Plus his band's name is the Hurtin Albertans. Gotta love it!! Ok...drumroll please...the title of the winning album title (if you haven't already made it out from the pic) "Hair In My Eyes Like a Highland Steer". Just perfect really. I mean their last album "Unforgiving Mistress" should get a mention - even if it sounds like the title of a trashy romance novel! I just get the biggest kick out of the album title; such imagery!
In other musical news, I have finalized my October ELFI mix. I think this one really reflects the idea of a last chance and making it through. I can't really explain why, but feel free - those of you who listen to these mixes - to chime in with your thoughts. The tracks are as follows:
1. Mr. Mastodon Farm - Cake
(This song remains 'symbolic of my entire existence' in many different ways...well at least since HS)
2. Smoke It - Dandy Warhols
(Just love the energy)
3. Two Hearts Beat as One - U2
(The chorus '
I can't stop the dance/Maybe this is my last chance' somehow resenates')
4. Bohemian Like You - Dandy Warhols
(Who doesn't like the Dandy Warhols...come on be honest!!)
5. Inside Out - Feist
(First heard this song on my Canadian radio station, but I love the old school quality of it)
6. Love Will Come Through - Travis
(Sometimes you just have to believe!)
7. Who Will Save Your Soul - Jewel
(The song playing on the radio when I learned that my father had had a heart attack and needed open heart surgery. Thank God I was in the car with a good friend!)
8. Dice - Finley Quaye & William Orbit
(Catchy song that I can't get out of my head)
9. Untitled - Simple Plan
(In some way, I too just want to scream at times...but that is just life)
10. Virgin State of Mind - K's Choice
(I've been listening to this song for years; still working on the meaning though)
11. Cross-Eyed Bear - Damien Rice
(I love Damien Rice with a passion that rivals the heat of the sun. Enough said!!)
12. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (Alternate Version)
(Although the new album is not as strong as others, I relate to this song. To often I forget that there are people out there that I can turn to)
13. One Song Glory - Rent
(My fav song from Rent...it can relate to anything really that you strive to accomplish)
14. Who's Gonna Know - Kathy Mattea
(This song strikes a chord with me and always makes me cry; sometimes a song can hit too close to home)
15. Return to Me - Matthew Ryan
(Catchy song)
16. Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
(Gotta love the Cash - especially with the new movie coming out Nov 18)
17. The Sound of Settling - Death Cab for Cutie
(Spent the whole summer thinking that the chorus was "this is the sound of summer rain"...the actual title makes more sense of course)
18. Just Like Heaven - The Cure
(Gotta love a song that begins with "Show me, show me, show me...")
19. You Can't Always Get What You Want - The Rolling Stones
(Good, sound advice really even if all of them have taken drugs for years!)
20. October - U2
(Although the song is quite ominous in a way, it is simply one of the most beautiful melodies.)

No comments: