Saturday, October 29, 2005

Man I ended up with pockets full of dust...

So I kinda got guilted into going to a History Science Theatre night last night. Since I was one of the people who originally thought of the idea, I thought "What the heck!" The movie line up consisted of along with Monty Python and the Holy Grail along with King Arthur. Now, as some of you might not know - with me being the anglophile that I am - I don't really care for Monty Python in any of its forms and if I had to pick one...it would be Life of Brian. I must add, however, that I absolutely love most of the work of the members as individuals and own Faulty Towers and A Fish Called Wanda. Anyhoo...I have to say that it the turn out was quite good and it was extremely fun to watch the film with a group of history grad student.
Unfortunately, I can not say the same for King Arthur. I definitely understand that this film is not for everyone, but as a student of history...you gotta get a good laugh out of any "historical" movie that begins with the words "Historians agree..." Classic! Besides, it is such a great eye candy movie...oh how I love you Clive Owen and Hugh Dancy - I shall not include Ioan Gruffudd on my list since I could get in trouble!! And you have to appreciate the fact that the love triangle between Arthur/Guinevere/Lancelot focuses on Guinevere breaking up Arthur and Lancelot instead of a secret affair between Guinevere and Lancelot. Besides all this, the most stable relationships in the movie are between Gawain and Galahad - who have some of the best longing looks in the film - and a guy with like 6 bastards that he hasn't even named! But no one seemed to understand this! I was alone in liking the film - which didn't surprise me - but no one else seemed to get why it was brillant in its awfulness! Besides if nothing esle I got a good hypothetical pet name out of it.


No comments: