Thursday, November 10, 2005

I should get on, forget you, but why would I want to...

So, for a while now I have been tracking a very disturbing trend...what I term the Cult of Haldir. I didn't really notice until after Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers how much momentuum this group had gained. It isn't just a few fangirls either. My favourite website (by fav I mean most amusing), Haldir's Whores (you gotta give them credit for the name), has 2224 members and they aren't all lonely girls. And that is not the only site...Haldir Heaven, Forgotten Hero...the list goes on and on. But when you stop to think about it, the guy has about 15 minutes of air time in the whole trilogy. I mean really, other than trying to stop the fellowship from entering the forest ("The dwarf breathes so loud, we could have shot him in the dark." Yes I know I have seen these films way to long) and showing up at Helms Deep to die ("I bring word from Lord Elrond of Rivendell. An Alliance once existed between Elves and Men. Long ago we fought and died together. We come to honor that allegiance.") they guy has no real role. Don't get me wrong, I was deeply touched by hus death, but really people. You are sadder than I am and that is saying something. Later I will examine the disturbing trend of LOTR music videos...pop songs with LOTR images. Anything ranging from Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" to the lovely hits of Bryan Adams. Be afraid...very afraid!
Paycheck came today...not quite sure how I am going to get it all to work, but where there is a will there is a way. I just keep telling myself that one day the whole masters degree will pay off in hard cash not just nifty friends and new levels of bitterness and cynicism. At least that is the dream!!!

No comments: