Friday, November 11, 2005

The Yanks are coming...


My friend S and I decided to celebrate the end of World War I...you know "The Great War"..."The War to End All Wars"...today by driving to Canada and drinking tea while eating donuts for the eleventh hour. Yes...88 years after the Versaille peace treaty, my friend and I enjoyed pastries at Tim Hortons surrounded by poppy pins. Some of you might not be familar with the poppy pins since it is not a tradition in the US, but I like it. Before living in England, where they actually celebrate holidays such as Victory in Europe day (May 8) and commemorate the "glorious dead" for the entire month of November and where poppy pins, I hadn't really thought about what Veterans Day actually stood for and the historical ramafications of the day. It was a day off of school and what more could you ask for.
Before you start worrying about the serious subject matter nature of this blog, have no fear. While on a sugar high, we returned to my apartment to watch the unrated version of Underworld. I think it is a fitting remembrance, but what do I know. I couldn't even find a poppy pin, but I did listen to this song a couple of time..

"Over there, over there,
Send the word, send the word over there -
That the Yanks are coming,
The Yanks are coming,
The drums rum-tumming
Ev'rywhere.
So prepare, say a pray'r,
Send the word, send the word to beware.
We'll be over, we're coming over,
And we won't come back till it's over
Over there."
-- George M. Cohan

No comments: