Tuesday, November 08, 2005

It's at the point of breaking down...

So, despite myself, I have been pondering Underworld a bit too much. Yes...I know I should follow my own advice, but what can I say; this is what I do! And before you start to wonder to yourself...yes this pic looks remarkably like the photo 2 days back, but it ain't...good ol' Scott Speedman doesn't have a jacket on in this one (let us all take a moment to thank the makers of black t-shirts) and his hair is sexily wet!! Anyway, I was stuck in university bureaucratic purgatory for a good portion of the afternoon and my mind began to wonder...well it does that no matter what, but at least this time I wasn't supposed to be doing something else. Okay, I have been thinking about it and for the life of me I can't figure out what city this movie is set in...I really don't think they tell us. From the license plates and nifty older architecture, I know it isn't any American city, but where is this town. Personally, I am voting for a Slavic town since that would give the film the correct vibe, but hey I am not really picky...well at least about this.
T
he other problem in figuring out the location is the multitude of accents. You got Wentworth Miller (the reason I actually rented the film...sorry Scott) and Scott Speedman working as docs with American accents, while most of the of the vampires or lycans seem to have English accents except for the guy playing Kraven, who does his darndest to not use his Northern Irish accent. However, it is pretty obvious at several points in the film. This is what infuriates me about accents in cinema...if you are going to do a bad accents...just stick with your own. A bad accent is far more distracting then just using the actor's natural born accent. Well...except if it is Shakespeare...then there is no excuse.

No comments: