Wednesday, April 12, 2006

When you put your arms around me...

I finally sat down and watched Mad Hot Ballroom last night. Hey...better late than never. Anyway, I sat absolutely mesmerized for the entire film, which if you know me is quite a phenomenon. Even on films I love, I'm usually doing something else at the same time. But man, elementary school children ballroom dancing is something that can't be missed.
The film not only featured ballroom dancing, but also the philosophical thoughts of pre-teen kids...kids stuck in the precarious not-quite-a-teenager-but-not-a-child-anymore. Topics of discussion ranged from girl/boy dynamics and future spouses to classroom politics. Although I enjoyed the side conversations, I have to say that Wilson, a little boy who didn't really say anything at all since he knew little English, was my favorite. He had the biggest blue/green eyes and boy could he dance. I sure hope he has the opprotunity to stick with it.
All in all, this is a film to be seen by everyone. Sure it has it manipulative uplifting moments, but at the end of the day...sometimes it is nice just to feel good and at least dream that we have a hope for the future. No many films do that anymore...

No comments: