Thursday, April 13, 2006

That's why I fell for the leader of the pack...

I don’t go for the typical bad boy. It might happen now and then, but for the most part, when it comes to my ranking of fav characters in books or the small/big screen I always gravitate towards the likable sidekick with a sense of humor. Although Angel had the looks, Xander had the jokes! Oh and lord knows Alan Tudyk was the only reason I made it through the whole season of Firefly.
For this reason, I find my growing affection for Weevil on Veronica Mars fascinating. Played superbly by Francis Capra – the great-grandson of the guy who directed It’s a Wonderful Life – the deposed leader of the PCH motorcycle gang (yeah I know it is corny, but I kinda like them on the show) is more than just the obligatory muscle of the show…he actually has a somewhat developed personality. On the surface, Weevil is a stereotypical badass; leader of the motorcycle gang, lots of tattoos, loves his grandmother…but there seems to be quite a bit more. He has been absent quite a bit of the season, especially after a coup that overthrew his leadership of the PCH motorcycle gang. However, last week’s ep brought him back in full force, finally dealing with the death of his best mate Felix. What I love is the fact unlike so many other badasses Weevil is willing to express his love – purely platonic - for his fallen comrade, practically yelling at one point “No. I LOVED him!” and showing a softer side that doesn’t make him seem vulnerable at all. He is not afraid to kill, but he is not a harden executioner. Instead, in some respects his actions seem to be more along the lines of justice. Although Francis Capra can play a pretty good heartless convict as well. Just watch the third ep of The OC entitled “The Gamble” if you don’t believe me. You’ll see what I mean.
I also love his friendship with Veronica. There is a level of respect between the two of them. He steps in and protects her at times and not just for quid-pro-quo reasons. I sure hope that if a third season of VM does make it on the new CW network, Weevil won’t get left behind or even worse…changed! There is nothing I hate more than when my favorite characters get new personalities between seasons!

No comments: