Monday, May 22, 2006

Morning comes in Paradise, morning comes in light.

Ok I am in love again…and this time it might last a bit time. Some of you will already know about my theory of music; for those who don’t, here is a quick explanation. I see my music obsessions – I really can’t call it anything else – as relationships and categorize them as such. For example, Dave Matthews Band is my first love. U2 is my musical ‘spouse’. I may have all sorts of ‘affairs’ or ‘flings’ with other ‘boyfriends’ or ‘lovers’, but in the end, I am in a pretty committed relationship with the 4 boys from Dublin. Some affairs last longer than others, but you get what I mean. Thankfully, U2 is forgiving!
I bring this up only because I seem to be currently juggling 2 new lovers:
Snow Patrol – who I discovered a couple of months ago, but have only recently hit the obsessive phase despite the use of one of their songs on Grey’s Anatomy
Sufjan Stevens – who I first heard back in February, but it has taken me a bit of time to track down
As with all of my obsessions, I am thorough (tune in tomorrow for a look at the new Gerard Butler film) and research far more than anyone should since most bands typically have similar stories. These bands, however, have a few new things.
Snow Patrol is made up of guys from Belfast who met and formed a group called Polarbear while attending uni in Scotland. You see…being an anglophile (that includes all of the UK, of course) pays off!!
On the other hand, I doubt I could explain the enigma that is Sufjan Stevens. Although at concerts he often claims to have been found in a milk crate on Canada Day, this is just a good story. However, the ‘truth’ is often as bizarre…he actually does teach the blind to knit. I'm not even starting on the name. Honestly, I don’t think anyone will ever beat that one…

No comments: