Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Attend the tale of Sweeny Todd!

I’m in shock…awe-inspired shock at the announcement of the new Tim Burton/Johnny Depp production. Apparently, I prayed to the correct patron saint, ‘cuz the dark and twisted duo are going to film…wait for it…Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Yeah, baby!!!! And before you ask…it will be the musical…the bloody, bloody musical!!! Oh how I have waited for this day. I can hardly contain my glee, although I am left wondering who will play Mrs. Lovett and if Johnny Depp can sing. Oh, this could be the beginning of a wondrous Sondheim revival (or birth really) in the film industry. My only concern is who else is crazy enough to see it…other than me of course. Well, Kevin Smith, since he used the musical in Jersey Girl this must mean he loves the musical. I think I am in pretty good company!!
Meanwhile in vaguely related news, I have read a review of Clerks 2 that has given me some hope. (Of course, I won’t go in with too much anticipation since that is a recipe for disaster.) Anyway, the reviewer seemed to really enjoy the film. Although his point concerning why this project and why those of us who love Kevin Smith should give the film chance, really caught my interest.
"I know many people including myself wondered if Kevin had lost his nerve after Jersey Girl and just wanted to play in a pond where he knew the water and could avoid jumping any sharks. He seemed to be pretty happy about the production and the direction of the film based on interviews or items on his various websites and I cant knock the guy for returning to his roots…hell I’ve got how many versions of Star Wars? If George Lucas can rape your childhood then Kevin can play a secret touching game with my early twenties I suppose- he did promise candy if I got in the car- so away I went."
I gave all the Star Wars a chance…got to do the same for good ol’ Kevin!!

No comments: