Monday, June 12, 2006

Three Lions on a shirt...

Well, the world sporting event I actually look forward to every 4 years, commenced this weekend. To be honest, this is really only the second time I have really paid attention, but still...I think that is still better than my Olympic (summer or winter) watching record. Of course, I still don't conform to US World Cup watching guidelines - if such guidelines exist, which I seriously doubt since barely anyone watches World Cup in America. I support England. Perhaps it is the fond memories of men staggering out of pubs at 8 in the morning drunk off their head or merely the infectuous exuberance of the fans. Despite the issue of holliganism - if that is indeed a word - I love the spirit and constant belief that this year will be England's chance to regain the glory of 1966.
So far, England remains pretty lucky. Sitting on top of Group B, although not looking extremely strong, hopefully they can hold onto that luck going into their Thursday game versus Trinidad-Tobago. I do have to say, that although I am thrilled that Beckham and the boys triumphed on Saturday, I do feel bad for Paraguay, especially Captain Carolos Gammara scored the own-goal that gave England the win. That one has to hurt...if it was me, I would think about relocating and never returning to Paraguay!!

No comments: