Monday, October 30, 2006

Someone is watching all of the outsiders...

I was wrong. I don't often admit this (even when I really should), but you see, I didn't think I could love David Sedaris any more that I already do. The man is one of my heroes...and although I may obsess about many, only a chosen few make it to the "hero/ine" level of my esteem (I mean you are in there with Bono and the boys among others). I have read every single one of his books and own the audio for most of them as well. So you can see why I would assume my "Little Elf"-love couldn't increase, since I felt I was at the pinnacle. But last night proved me wrong. I adore him even more (perhaps this ever-expanding love is how parents feel about their children...I honestly don't know).

I won't give a detailed second-by-second account since that is gloating and I really want Santa to visit me this year, but I will say that I heard all new material. Some worked better than others - Dave can write some pretty awesomely bad poetry about mildew on the face of a recluse - but that didn't really matter. I spent 2 amazing hours listening to a man that can tell a story like none other in a beautifully restored theatre that just seemed to enhance the experience.

Sure I had an annoying couple that took part in a bit too much PDA and a woman with an annoying laugh that seemed to get the jokes a couple of minutes after everyone else. But that didn't damper the experience. I got to see David Sedaris preform. I mean, this is a man that can get me to laugh at some of the most outrageous things and at the same time convey a heartfelt message. If you ever get the chance to see the man in action...run and buy a ticket even if you have to sell your first-born child. Believe me...it will be worth it.

No comments: