Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Can't you see I'm white and nerdy...

I suck at math. Perhaps not as bad as spelling - thank goodness for spell check - but it is definitely not an area I excel in. Neither is money management it turns out. After putting off creating a budget for, well years, I finally took an honest look at my finances...and man it isn't pretty. I now understand why the highest percetage of suicide in the US is in the 25-34 category. I can also see why some people completely shun material crap and become hermits. It is sounding better and better every time I think about it.
But that isn't the point of today's blog entry. No siree! No, today's blog is all about the reason I finally understand my complete failure at money management...I 'm going to a Sci-Fi convention in April. In Burbank. Jamie Bamber is going to be there. And Katee Stackoff. And Gul Dukat. And Major Kira. And wow, I'm already sounding like an over excited fangirl.
Now, I attend conventions for self-assteem reasons. That might sound backward, but keep in mind, at these events, I am one of the 'cool' geeks. That doesn't happen for me very often. I am not cool. (Just look at my profile pic if you don't belive me. ..I'm standing next to a giant Pride & Prejudice poster while attempting to add my head to a U2 poster. I blame it on being an only child. Not ) Sure I can speak the geek lingo and know the trivia, but at the end of the day, I'm not a pathetic loser sitting at a table of faux Klingons speaking a language created by other nerds. (No offense to anyone who does speak Klingon fluently, but keep in mind, I live in my mother's sewing room, work for a couple of agricultural organizations setting up livestock sales & sending vaccine, and my thesis advisor keeps ignoring me...I need something in my life to feel good about! Don't deny me this! Please...)
So after agreeing to go with a friend down to the event, I hunkered down today to review my finances...or lack there of. All I am at liberty to say, is that, in layman's terms since that is all I know, I am up a creek without a paddle or a canoe really. I'm floating on a door...like that one in Titanic. Fortunately Leo isn't haning on for dear life trying to bring me down, but still I am doing a pretty good job on my own.
Speaking of Titanic, man I hated that movie. I just don't get the appeal. I mean, Victor Garber and Kathy Bates together couldn't save that flick. Perhaps if Djimon Hounsou had a role, I am pretty sure he can save any film, but alas, we will never know. And it did really launch Kate Winslet's career. ..there is a positive.
(Wow, I just realized I wrote an entire log about my finances, Titanic, and sci-fi conventions. Sometimes I really do wonder about my sanity...or lack there of!)

No comments: