Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Did you have that strangest dream before you woke?

I love finding new music...it is as simple as that. I can't really explain how I stumble opon new artists, but it just happens. As Geoffrey Rush would say in Shakespeare in Love, "I don't know. It's a mystery. "
Anyway, I recently discovered
Elvis Perkins, a guy who conjures up, for me at least, a hybrid between Damien Rice and Bob Dyan; if you applied Damien's voice to the poetic nature of Bob Dylan's lyrics). It might just be me and a few others (NPR and The O.C. to name a couple), but I find Elvis Perkins' lyrics to be prosaic...so metaphorical, insightful, and sensitive. Here are the lyrics to "While You Were Sleeping", which made it into my top 5 songs of 2006. (Click here or here to listen to the song.)

While you were sleeping, your babies grew
The stars shined and the shadows moved
Time flew, the phone rang
There was a silence when the kitchen sang
It’s songs competed like kids for space
We stared for hours in our Maker’s face
They gave us picks, said don’t mind the sun
And go golden, come back when you’re done

While you were sleeping, you tossed, you turned
You rolled your eyes as the world burned
The Heavens fell, the Earth quaked
I thought you must been but you weren’t awake
No, you were dreaming, you ignored the sun
You grew your power garden for the little ones
And you found brides for them on Christmas Eve
They hung young Cain from the Adam Trees
And danced...

While you were sleeping, I tossed and I turned
‘Til I closed my eyes, but the future burned
Through, the planet turned a hair grey
As I re-lived the day

While you were sleeping, the money died
Machines were harmless and the Earth sighed
The wind, you swept sound
And gravity brought my love around
The oceans rose about decay
While witches few and the mermaid stayed
Full of dreams, you over slept
And keeping with the quiet through the walls I crept
I walked on tip toes, sent darkness swirling
Over all the kitchen in the early morning

I’ll never catch up to you, who sleeps so sound
My arms are useless, my heart beats too loud
To go to sleep my mind’s to proud
To bow

While you were sleeping the time changed
All your things were rearranged
Your vampire mirrors, face to face
They saw forever out into space
And found you dreaming in black and white
While it rained in all the colors of the night

I watched the tv’s memories
Champion ships vanish to sea
Can it be, my honey
Between you and me?

So I waited for the riddled sky
To be solve again by sunrise
I made a death soup for life
For my father’s ill widowed wife
Did you have that strangest dream before you woke?
‘Cause in your gown, you have the butterfly stroke
Did it escape you like some half-told joke
When you reached for you plume of smoke?

And it will haunt you, my honey, be
Anyone who’s anyone has that same dream
Were you’re falling? Were your flying?
And were you calling out? Were you dying?
But thank God you’re up now, let’s stay this way
There’ll still be no mornings and no more days
‘Cause when we’re dreaming the babies grow
The sun shines and the shadows flow
Time flies, the phone rings
There is a silence when everybody tries to sing

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ooh! I love new music and I love good lyrics. Thanks, babe. Glad you woke up long enough to find me some new music.