Saturday, October 15, 2005

From this day on I own my father's gun

I have fallen in love with Elizabethtown despite Orlando Bloom . Now, I did go into the film with some apprehension. As much as I love other Cameron Crowe films, I also loathe some of his other works. I don't see how anyone couldn't like Say Anything or Almost Famous, but I absolutely loathe Vanilla Sky and Jerry Maguire; please whatever you do, don't show me the money. Anyway, I also felt a bit concerned about the subject matter since the previews made it seem like it was a take off of Garden State - one of my top 10 movies of all time. I don't want to ruin the plot for anyone, but I absolutely loved the content and the message. Where Garden State remains dark and dysfunctional, Elizabethtown has a sweet innocence to it. Themes of suicide and death are featured heavily, but fo some reason the movie doesn't get dogged down by them or too angry. And I like what the film seems to say about failure. So very refreshing and relevant to anyone and everyone...even if you haven't lost nearly $1 billion for a shoe company. Although I think that if I was fortunate enough to work for a shoe company I wou'd do my best not to lose money. I love shoes too much. I really am a shoe whore!
And as with most Crowe films, the music was the most amazing aspect of the film. Somehow his soundtracks often constitute a religious experience and Elizabethtown is no exception. I even convinced the friend I went to see the film with, B, to buy the soundtrack so I could burn it. Oh how I love my friends with disposable income. Anyway...I leave you loyal readers with this quote from the film..."Okay. Just dial HELL and I'll answer!" Funny stuff, man, funny stuff.

1 comment:

Derek said...

I can't tolorate Bloom or that ugly hack kristen dunst