Friday, October 07, 2005

I Don't Own Emotion - I Rent

I keep falling deeper and deeper in love with this musical. Not that this is highly unusual for me...I tend to obsess. But how could you not...even if you don't like the eye candy - even if there is someone for everyone - the music is actually quite good. However, what gets me about Rent is the emotion. It understands it place and embraces both the good and bad of humanity. I like grey areas. Far more interesting. And who could resist a musical that can discuss materialism in America, AIDS, and second chances without over doing the signaled!!! There is a connection to the subject matter and the people involved that you miss in other musicals. In truth, Rent is one of the only 'higher brow' musicals I love, although I do really dislike most Andrew Lloyd Webber, so I do have that in my favor. If only Michael Ball had done more than just Les Mis and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!!
Finally finished Harry Pothead. Well in my defense it only took me 2 days, but since I have owned the books since midnight opening day back in July it does seem like a long time coming. I am still sticking to my Gandalf theory. I just can't choose to believe that Snape was able to trick Dumbledore like that. Just doesn't seem right. The Harry/Ginny thing was great and I like that Ron and Hermione finally resolved some of their emotional shit. 'Bout bloody time!!! However, book 6 didn't excite me like the others. I am looking forward to the last installment of course, but I am also a bit apprehensive. I have it in me to get through a Harry Pothead book without Dumbledore, but not sure I could handle that if there is also no Hogwarts!! We shall see...oh hey when did Harry save Arthur's life? For the life of me I can't remember and I don't have time at the moment to reread them all. I must move onto Gabaldon or Wheel of Time otherwise I will never catch up (not that it is a real possiblity, but a girl can dream...and for once not about hot Scottish guys or Wentworth Miller)!! However, as it always does it goes back to the wisdom of Trainspotting. Hey I can't explain why or how my mind wanders...at least it isn't about fish sex like some people I know!!!


"So why did I do it? I could offer a million answers - all false. The truth is that I'm a bad person. But, that's gonna change - I'm going to change. This is the last of that sort of thing. Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you. The job, the family, the f*#king big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

No comments: