Thursday, October 06, 2005

Pointless Nostalgia


So I have recently shared on of my secret, slightly shameful wonderings concerning Harry Potter and to my surprise, both people confessed to have wondered the same thing. Did Dumbledore and McGonagall have some hot steamy love affair in their past? They always seem to agree and show up places together. I know it seems a bit odd, but you do have to wonder. Dumbledore must have had it good in his younger days...especially since he has that twinkle in his eye. In other Harry Potter news, I am almost done with the Half Blood Prince. I would have finished it this evening, but I got a call from a friend and since the shorted conversation we have recently had was 2.5 hours, you can imagine why I still have a few hundred pages to go. I am convinced, however, that Dumbledore is going to pull a Gandalf and rise again in the seventh book. See I must believe this since I really can't imagine a whole Harry Potter book without him...just seems wrong.
Not much else going on in my little corner of the world. Work is going along, although I will be in charge tomorrow. Kinda scary, but it is nice to think that someone thinks I am qualified to be in charge, even if it is a short time. For once in my life I seem to be fending off a boy and wishing that I had a bit more time to myself at home. Who knew after the summer I had, that I would now be lamenting the fact that I am now weeing people on a regular basis. Perhaps this is the end of the world. I have also found myself reminiscing about
the past with several different friends; England, uni, you get the idea. At first I thought it was helpful, but after talking to one friend in particular the other day, I am beginning to wonder if it is all pointless nostalgia. I mean memories can be good and it is swell to remember past times with an old friend, but I think there is a real danger in that; too much time spent pondering the greatness of a time already experienced can easily prevent one from looking to the future for possible new experiences and memory making moments.
Just so I end on a high note, I did recently fall in love with a line from the new P & P. I don't know about the new Mr. Darcy, but I will give it a shot. Despite the claims of other, there can never be too many P & P movies!! Now back to the quote. As only Ms. Elizabeth Bennet could explain..."Believe me, men are either eaten up with arrogance or stupidity." I do have to agree with her on that one...well at least for the moment!!!

No comments: