Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Now we've got something to prove...

Lunch with grad school buddies can go 1 of two ways. Either you get into some deep philospohical debate on how Derrida relates to current archival theory and other such nonsense that really does no good in the world or it turns into a cynical and bitter bitching fest over the hell that is grad school and commiserate with one another. Personally, I usually prefer the second and fortunately that was my lunch at On Rice...out Thai restraunt of choice and ritual meeting place. In the years I have known J, we have only eaten somewhere else once. As my loyal readers might have already known or figured out, I am a creature of habit and therefore, this is the way I like it...no surprises...
Although I am still in a passionate, torrid affair with Postal Service at the moment, this talk of grad school has made me think of this song I am currently loving. The song, called "On Your Porch", by a group called The Format really articulates my current state of mind. Here goes...
"I've done enough
and if i fail well then i fail but i gave it a shot
and these last three years, i know theyve been hard
but now its time to get out of the desert and into the sun even if its alone"

I really love another line of the song, the singer's father comments "you've done enough and if you fail well then you fail but not to us..." Reminds me of my parents in a gushy kind of way...bless 'em. Well enough mush. In my current emotional state this could lead to crying and lord knows no one wants that!

P.S. I thought I should include a cartoon that has helped me overcome some of my bitterness and/or mush...I woudn't want it all to go away, but cartoons like this helps to control some of the emotion and rage - kinda like alcohol, but cheaper and doesn't end up with vomit...normally. Enjoy! School is Hell: Lesson 19 - Some People Never Learn

No comments: