Tuesday, October 18, 2005

We love the whorehoppin', that ain't no lie...

I had thought I had seen it all, but I was wrong. While procrastinating on my thesis - pretty much my only real goal in life at the moment - I have begun to start watching the soap General Hospital. I am not especially proud of this, but in the end, this is just one of many habits that I would rather not discuss. Anyway, the commercials during soaps is not like anything else. As you would guess, household products and department stores ads dominate, but there is also quite a bit of time devoted to children shows - usually on ice, although you still can't convince me that Finding Nemo should ever have been made into an "on ice" show - as well as acts that appeal to lonely middle age women bored at home. Now I understand all of this, but I was still floored as in complete shock and horror watched clips from the new Michael Flatley show ridiculuously named "Celtic Tiger". I will freely admit that I enjoyed - and still do on some level - "Riverdance", but Flatley's subsequent shows have begun to scare the crap out of me. Who goes to these things anymore? The man looks frightening and for any of you who have seen this ad...what is up with the red, white, and blue squence outfits have to do with anything "celtic"?
I have fallen in love with a song by Eagles of Death Metal called "Whorehoppin'". I can't really explain the appeal, except that it is H's - one of my bext friends - drunk anthems. If you knew H, you would see the great irony that - first - she even has a drunk anthem and - second - this anthem actually includes the words "whorehoppin'" and the phrase "sh*t goddamn, I'm a man". In a similarly funny situation...L - another friend - sent me a DVD, homemade, entitled "Diana, Princess of Wales" which includes her wedding to HRH The Prince of Wales as well as her funeral. It might make me a bad person, but you just have to laugh...not out loud of course, but to yourself.

2 comments:

Crystal Jordan said...

That "Celtic Tiger" poster is truly frightening and disturbing on many, many levels!

Derek said...

Lord of the dance Classic this is golden I am dying over here