Saturday, October 22, 2005

You seem so out of context in this gaudy apartment complex

I fall in love with bands. I make no apologies for my promiscuity on that front. I have long believed that relationships with music have their own life in many respects and often resemble a love life of sorts. For example...when looking at my music history, Dave Matthews Band would be my first love. I was obssessive for many years, but the chemistry just couldn't last a lifetime. I still listen to their music from time to time and think fondly of our time together, but in the end, the passion died. However, I see U2 as my devoted partner that I can keep coming home to - kinda like what I imagine a husband is like...a really forgiving husband. Now I might have affairs on the side with Los Lonely Boys or Damien Rice (this one is turning out to be quite the tryst) but still, in the end, I return home to Bono, the Edge, Larry, and Adam.
I give you this premable, only to explain the presence of a new loverThe Postal Service. I first heard a cover of their song "Such Great Heights" by Iron & Wine on the Garden State album. I soon downloaded the original and slowly fell in love. I then discovered that another of my current favorite songs "We Will Become Silhouettes", although again I was familar with a cover of the song, this time by The Shins. Needless to say, I was curious...could this really be a band that I could love or did I only love their music when performed by someone else? The answer...a resounding NO. Give Up, the first album released by The Postal Service, is abso-fukcin-fabulous!!! And I am not only saying this because they are local boys...they are amazing and I hope they are around for years to come. I could look forward to a lifetime of mini break holidays!

No comments: