Sunday, November 13, 2005

Driven to distraction...It’s all part of the plan

I have been listening to an amazing amount of Coldplaty recently. I quite like their new album...I guess it isn't new anymore, but the most recent and so it is still considered new to me. As much as I do like them, I am beginning to wonder if I have finally completely sold out to the ever expanding 20s market of cool. I mean, I love Garden State, I discuss politics with friends over coffee, and wonder what the world is going to now that corporate America has completely taken over. I do still have many things holding me back from this new status...I love U2 - clearly not a choice made by most twentysomething individuals - as well as musicals. I may have some of the current classics of my generation, but I also own Fawlty Towers and more Hallmark movies than I am willing to admit on the internet. But, I do feel like I have become more drawn to those new things - whether music or films - that has been deemed as a definitive representation of my generation.
Perhaps as with most things...grad school as screwed up my mind and distorted how I analyze the world around me. Or possibly, I am overlooking the most obvious...I love pop culture and simply like listening to 4 guys of England talk about love, loss, and scientists. Maybe, as a student of history I am simply interested in the current trends and understand the "normal American psyche" - if that does in fact exist. I am not really sure, I am just concerned that I am selling out to something...I am just not sure what that something is.

No comments: