Friday, November 25, 2005

Lovin', is what I got, I said remember that...

So this will surprise no one, but I spent a glorious day at the movies. Oh yes...I am not sure if there is anything better...well there is but I can't afford it. Well, not that I can really afford the movie theatre, but I digress. It has been a good week. Since last Saturday I have been to the theatre 6 times and only paid 4 of the times. Free movies...the door to my heart! Anyway, today S and I enjoyed a double feature of Rent and P & P, the exact same double feature of Wednesday in opposite order and with just the 2 of us. If all days could be like this and people wouldn't bring children under 10 to either film! What is wrong with Americans today?!?!?
So, some of you might be wondering how much I love the new P & P since I was so excited and that usually leads to disaster. If I get my expectations up...bad things happen - Het anyone? I wrote a bit earlier in the week, but I thought I would gush a bit more. I LOVE this film. Not just like or enjoy, but full "get your freak on" - whatever that means - passionately love this film. I never thought anyone could compare to Colin Firth's Darcy and the legendary pond scene...but this new film has a couple of great rain-drenched scenes that have me reminiscing about English rain - something I spent a good portion of time complaining about.
Sitting and watching the film today got me pondering Austen's connection to the crap romance novels of today...excuse me the correct term is now ChickLit - not the gum, but literature directed completely at the female gender...and C's grandfather - don't worry I will not try and explain that one! Anyway, Austen's work stands as the foundation for all Regency romance writers from Heyer to Balogh and beyond. I wonder what she would have thought of that!

No comments: