Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Sleight of hand and twist of fate...


Well, it is the first of the month and I give you my ELFI Mix for November 2005. Unlike some months, this mix proved more difficult than others simply because I have been listening to way too much music. In actuality, I don't think that this mix completely captures my current state of existence, but once next month's tracklist comes out...hopefully it will all make sense! As with last month's mix, I have included track names and artists along with some sort of explanation of why that song made the cut.

1. Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera) - Doris Day

(My mom used to sing this song to me...)
2. Ashes - Embrace
(I have my own idea what is meant by the phrase' "I sink like a stone, I lost my control")
3. Get Your Way - Jamie Cullum

(Cool beat...Love Jamie ever since "Twentysomething"...and you have to support any artist that fits Shakespearean quotes into his jazz lyrics)

4. The District Sleeps Alone Tonight - The Postal Service

(Fell madly in love with this group and this song...I mean how could you not like a band that actually sings "You seem so out of context in this gaudy apartment complex." Bloody brillant!)
5. The Maker - Daniel Lanois
(Only ever heard remakes of this song...the virgin edition is by far the best.)

6. Wreck of the Day - Anna Nalick
("And it's finally quiet in my head...")

7. Wonderwall - Ryan Adams

(Remake of the Oasis song, although this version seems to have a bit more soul even if the artist is somewhat of an ass-clown.)

8. If I Had it All - Dave Matthews Band
(Lord knows that if I had it all...I would screw it up too!)

9. Come Pick Me Up - Ryan Adams

(Brillant song...found it before Elizabethtown, but that film made it even more swell!)
10. On Your Porch - The Format
(Love this song...I may not be a struggling musician, but I understand the idea and since failure seems to be a theme this month...kinda just made sense!)

11. Sleeping In - The Postal Service

("
Where concerns about the world getting warmer/The people thought they were just being rewarded..." well that and the fact that I do love sleeping in!)
12. My Father's Gun - Elton John
(Every Cameron Crowe film seems to have an old school Elton John song...)
13. Snails - The Format
(Gotta love any song about Snails...and this one is actually quite thoughtful.)

14. Forever Young - Youth Group
(Ok...I owned the original Rod Stewart cassette single of this song...this is much better. Besides it is Ryan and Marissa's song!)

15. Momentary Thing - Something Happens
(There have been a couple of other tracks on this list that were once used on Veronica Mars - don't worry I won't tell you which ones - but this one is the most significant of them all. At least those of us rooting for LoVe!)

16. Clark Gable - The Postal Service
(Not sure when my brain got tapped, but I am telling you someone has been listening to my thoughts and writing catchy songs about them.)
17. Dakota - Stereophonics
(Love the energy of the song...well that and we all have to walk down memory lane sometime!)

18. Whorehoppin' (S**t, Goddam) - Eagles of Death Metal
(Truth...this is not one of my finds. Actually this is a drunken anthem of one of my best friends. So go out and have a Capt. Morgan and Mountain Dew and forget everything...or clean!)
In other news, I have finished reading Rats Saw God. Fascinating book, but I think I may have missed quite a bit of the meaning. Normally this would be fine, but this is a young adult book. If I can't get those, what is left to me...Dr. Seuss books. To be truthful I never got those either...so apparently I am doomed. No biggie! I will get over it I'm sure.

No comments: