Monday, December 05, 2005

Let's tune out by turning on the radio...

On a recent viewing of Robin Hood: Prince of Theives, a film screening inspired by Kingdom of Heaven no less, I was mesmerized by Alan Rickman's hair. He is by far the best thing in the film, but the hair is fascinating. The picture doesn't do it credit...fucking brillant!!
Now onto business...although I had completed December's ELFI mix last week it wasn't published. Now this doesn't affect most of you, but keep in mind seeing P & P 7 times - but only paid 3 time thank you very much - takes a pretty big chunk of time. Come on people...it is the holiday season, I gotta hide and hey as Franz Ferdinand sings "The dark of the matinee/It's better in the matinee/The dark of the matinee is mine"!! And so without further gilding the lily and with no more ado, I give to you, the seeker of serenity, the protector of Italian virginity, the enforcer of our Lord God, the one, the only, Sir Ulllrrrich von Lichtenstein...no wait scratch that. I give you December 2005 ELFI Mix:

1. What You Own - Rodger and Mark from Rent
(I love this song, especially the reminder of the fact that in many respects, in America often you are what you own!)
2. Matinee - Franz Ferdinand
(If the title of the song wasn't proof enough - along with the quotes I used earlier in this blog - you have to respect any song that include "leave this academic factory"...you just do!)
3. Gold Rush - Kissinger
(This song is just catchy and for some reason reminds me of the horrid yearly field trip to Sutter's Fort that I dreaded.)
4. Intuition - Jewel
(I really do hope that Jewel was attempting to be ironic with this song...otherwise I jsut lost a whole lot of respect for the girl.)
5. Pretty Vegas - INXS
(The dream of Vegas got me through a hell quarter and still has a special place in my heart...although did ruin Celine Dion, but no real loss there.)
6. New York, New York - Ryan Adams
(If you haven't caught on, I'm in love with this guy even if he is a ass-clown. This song is so catchy and infects you rmind from the first time you listen to it.)
7. It Ain't Me Babe - Joaquin Phoenix & Reese Witherspoon
(I loved Walk the Line, and thought that both Phoenix and Witherspoon did a fine job singing, but I still prefer the original recordings for the simple fact that I already own them and can't afford any CDs at the moment. However, I loved their fun rendition of this song.)
8. Nothing Better - The Postal Service
(You will recall my love of this Pacific Northwest/Cali treasure, but this song continues the sentitments of the previous track...in the end, I am not the right person for you...get it through your head.)
9. Square One - Tom Petty
(If you ignored the hype and went to see Elizabethtown, you will remember that this is the scene in which Orlando Bloom dances on the side of the road...a scene I love since I can do a similar dance. Anyway the song itself really speaks to my current situation...or at least I think so. )
Square one, my slate is clear
Rest your head on me, my dear
It took a world of trouble, took a world of tears
Took a long time... to get back here

10. Holding Things Together - Dwight Yoakam
(I was raised on good ol' country music and no one understands that music better than Dwight Yoakam. I love this cover of the Merle Haggard classic.)
11. Jesus Was a Crossmaker - The Hollies
(Absolutely love the opening lines..."
Sweet silver angels over the sea, please come down flying low for me.")
12. Against All Odds - Phil Collins
(So I downloaded a Postal Service cover of this song that was just bad, but it did remind me how much I loved the Collins original. Classic songwriting...classic.)
13. Recycled Air - The Postal Service
(Anyone who knows me, knows I love to travel. This song reminds me of flying around Ireland. "
I watch the patchwork farms' slow fade into the ocean's arms...")
14. Arthur's Theme (The Best That You Can Do) - Christopher Cross
(I love Burt Bacharach...'nough said!!)
15. Tune Out - The Format
(I love this group and the energy of the music itself. It is just fun to listen to.)
16. Popular - Glinda from Wicked
(I got a fab x-mas gift that got me listening to this fab musical again. But really folks, who doesn't want to be popular!! Hopefully tho ChickLit won't have a relapse!)
17. The Road to Mandalay - Robbie Williams
(Femenazi read this great quote to me the other day that talks about being a bystander to your own condusion. In many ways, I think that is the place I am at. I'm note sure where I am going and seem to be standing on the outside looking in.
Every mistake I've ever made
Has been rehashed and then replayed
As I got lost along the way
On a side note, man does this boy have a body...and a voice that I absolutely melt to - yes cheesy I know, but unfortunately true! )
18. English Girls Approximately - Ryan Adams
(As if the title wasn't enough, everyone knows I am a anglophile...even if the song is by an American dude!!)
19. Same in Any Language - I-Nine
(I loved Elizabethtown and this song seems to be one of its musical themes.)
20. Run - Air
(This song was used on a Veronica Mars ep and I just couldn't get it out of my head.)
21. Dawn - Jean-Yves Thibaudet
(Ah Mr. Darcy...how I love you...)
Well, that is all I have for you at the moment. Look forward to tomorrow's revelation about Sunday's blog...

No comments: