Monday, December 12, 2005

My soul is there beside you, let this candle guide you...

So, since this is my blog and I can write about whatever I want - and lord knows I have shared more than I ever needed to - I figure I will spend another day gushing about my love for Horatio Hornblower. I mean it goes beyond the simply fact that I am an anglophile and will watch anything produced by the BBC or the fact that any British film will contain a fun mixture of incestuous British stars - not actual incest, but the fact that there is only a handful of British actors at one time and those actors can and will show up anywhere and everywhere!! Or the cute guys in lovely uniforms and shiny shoes with heels and loose white trousers (Ioan Gruffudd had this to say "The arses on the trousers aren't very tight. They're very loose and baggy and I like tight trousers. And the shoes - the shoes have got a bit of a heel, and it's a strange sensation for a man. Especially when you're running.' He mimes a mincing trot. 'I am mighty Hornblower! Watch me run like a girl!'")
But I digress, I also love the ships and the poor namelss sailor dudes you know are going to kick it at the first sign of the Frogs - I mean the French not actual frogs, although now that I think about it I am guessing quite a few sailors died from poisonous frogs - or a big storm. And of course my favorite...the homoerotic moments between our hero and his best bud.
I mean come on...who doesn't secretly hope that the longing looks and causal embraces will lead to something more. After Mr. Hunter died, the two of them had the whole Spanish jail cell to themselves. What better way to spend the hours of captivity? I mean there are whole websites devoted to fanfic and the undying love between Archie and Horatio (my condolences to Maria and that French chick that died). One site even has a music video featuring various moments of the two of them to a soundtrack of the Helen Reddy hit from Disney's Pete's Dragon "Candle on the Water". It doesn't get campier than that...and if anything can keep me sane...its that!!

No comments: