Monday, February 27, 2006

Allons enfants de la patrie...

So...I have recently come to the conclusion that I owe Napoleon a debt of gratitude. This may sound odd, although now that I think about it...probably not the oddest statement I've made over the last 5 months. But back to good ol' Napoleon. Let me be clear, I have not spent a lot of time studying French politics or history and I don't have a real interest or desire to do so. You see...I have recently realized that I love the Napoleonic era. I love the books written about it...I mean what would C.S. Forester's Hornblower series be with out him not to mention O'Brien's Capt. Aubrey. And for those of you who haven't read the books...come on...you know you love the movies too - even if Jamie Bamber isn't looking hi best. I won't even mention all of the crap romance books I have read set during this period since I would only further humiliate myself,but let me tell you...they are some of the best in the genre that don't feature men in kilts.
And it isn't only the fictional characters that got a good deal out of Napoleon's quest for land, power, and riches. What would the world be like without the great legend of Horatio Nelson? Without Wellington what would the boot have been called? And besides...a great dessert also come out of the whole debacle. Now I understand Napoleon really wasn't the best of men and all that, but in the end I have quite a lot to thank him for...without him I would have something else to amuse myself with, but it wouldn't have been nearly as fun I am sure!!!

No comments: