Tuesday, February 28, 2006

When youre anchored down in Anchorage...

Today I realized that despite it all...grad school may have been worth it. I have always been able to shoot the breeze with almost anyone and often make situations or anything else for that matter sound better. Grad school only improved this great skill. You see...ChickLit got me to read The Royal Treatment over the last break only because I was intrigued by the pink cover - yes I love the color pink - and the fact that it had an amusing penguin scene. That and it was Christmas and by that point I would have pretty much done anything to avoid my family. Anyway, read the book and enjoyed it before accidently dropping it in a bathtub full of water. Although in my defense, I usually only destroy the books I love...
Anyway, back to the whole grad school connection. Although I eat my lunch at my desk I do usually goof off a bit - well to be honest I actually goof off quite a bit during the day, but since I get all of my work done...where's the harm? Besides, one of my bosses finds it theraputic to vacuum the termites currently flooding out of the woodwork into both of our offices. See...me looking at the google news page while on the clock doesn't seem too out of the ordinary in the grand scheme of things. But I digress, today I was reading The Royal Pain since ChickLit is sending me the sequel. Most of the people at work know I am working on my thesis and enjoy lit, so picture my horror when I was caught reading this contemporary romance novel. Well...in true form I explained it away as a fictional look at how the world would have been different if Alaska hadn't been sold to the US and instead became a monarchy, which is somewhat true although the book does lack a completely credible historical background. I, of course, went on for a couple more minutes and in the end...made it seem like a legitimate work of fiction. Right up there with Michael Crichton and John Grisham. Ah...I tell you there really should be a grad school superhero...she would be absolutely brillant!!!

No comments: