Monday, February 06, 2006

In the bleak midwinter, long ago...

Since I hav e an interview tomorrow with a temp agency, I spent tonight with the only friend I have left in Sactown. It is fascinating to think that I lived in this town for 21 years and everyone else - except one - has found a way to escape. Oh well...you really can never go home again!!! Anyway we decided to watch movies about Shakespeare productions of Hamlet starting with the quirky yet completely lovable A Midwinter's Tale - unless you live in the UK and then it is call In the Bleak Midwinter. Fatastic movie that is not only fun, but features so many of my fav English actors...and there are some real bonuses if you have ever sat through Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet since he wrote and directed this one. I fell in love with it from the tag line "The drama. The passion. The intrigue... And the rehearsals haven't even started." How could any theatre fan resist?
After a short dinner break, we ended up watching the classic To Be Or Not To Be starring Jack Benny and Carole Lombard in her final role. A funny film, but also interesting since the film is placed in Nazi occupied Warsaw and was released in March of 1942. Not only does the movie incorporate Hitler and Hamlet, but some of the funniest one liners, but don't worry I won't spoil any of it for you!!

No comments: