Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Did I disappoint you or leave a bad taste in your mouth?

Although it has taken me a while to admit it, I don’t think I will ever love a show again as I loved Buffy. Last summer, one of my profs asked if I thought I would ever find a replacement for my beloved show. At the time, I didn’t really have an answer, but a week or so later, I assured him that I thought Veronica Mars had the potential given a couple more years (keep in mind I hadn’t yet discovered BSG, but I don’t believe it serve as a complete replacement either). Unfortunately, it turned out I was wrong. Last night’s ep of VM proved that fact.
Don’t get me wrong, I still like the show, but it keeps pulling crap that I can’t condone... main characters are conspicuously missing for multiple eps at a time, the overall mystery doesn’t seem to be going anywhere, the “mystery-of-the-week” eps are getting stupid and lackadaisical, and Veronica doesn’t seem to have the same spunk she once possessed. All this is further compounded by the extended breaks that the UPN keeps inserting in the season. It is hard enough keeping all the look-a-like high schoolers straight let alone having to also remember complex elements of the bus crash investigation. I have never claimed the 7 seasons of Buffy were without flaws, but than again, I forgave more back then.

2 comments:

Magnolia said...

Geez, are you forgetting those horrid Buffy episodes like the swim team and the mummy girl? Egads.

Maybe I am more forgiving now, but I enjoy VM more consistently from week-to-week than I did Buffy. I like Veronica herself more than I did Buffy, so that's one reason. But both shows are pretty great overall and are better than almost anything else network TV has given us.

puckbuff13 said...

Lord no!!! I am just saying that at this point in my life I am less willing to commit myself to shows that jerk me around. I mean if you are considering bad Buffy episodes, I would happily submit the one in which Spike bangs the invisible Buffy or the tedious speeches given to the potential slayers through out season 7. I'm not claiming Buffy eps didn't stumble into boring/absurd/I'really-don't-care-at-this-point territory.
I would completely agree that last season Veronica Mars stayed consistent, but this season just hasn't grabbed me. I completely agree that the show is overall superior to anything else on network tellie at the moment, but at the same time, I feel let down. I mean what was the ep last night. I didn't care about the bride character at all, both Wallace - at least he was back - and Keith barely got screen time, the bombastic sheriff Lamb is becoming more ridiculous by the minute, and Weevil apparently has run off with Duncan to Mexico since it has been quite a while since he showed up. And don't even get me started on Logan adn Veronica. First of all, Hannah looks like a combo of Meg and Veronica. And at this point all he gets to do is either look snarky or sad-puppy. There used to be so much more to him. That and I miss Veronica bantering with others.
I have no doubt that I will continue to watch the show, I am just not that committed to it. Hopefully next season - given that there is a spot for Veronica Mars on the CW schedule - will capture my attention a bit more.