Tuesday, March 21, 2006

If You Think You're Lonely Now...

I have recently discovered a fantastic way to pass the time at work. Unfortunately, now that I have caught up with most of the backlogged tasks, I don't have enough to fill the day. This of course makes the 8.5 hours I spend at the office go even slower. Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how it came to me, but I began to reminisce about the article titles I used to read all the time in grad school and how inflated with language they were. In many cases, the titles were far more informative - and to be honest, interesting - than the actual title. At the same time I began to ponder the ridiculous title of the latest trashy novel I had read. I think it was something completely ludicrous like To Pleasure a Prince or perhaps the outlandish Devil in a Kilt - a book I recently stumbled across again after several years.
Anyway, to say the least, trashy novels normally suffer from both a bad title and a equally horrendous cover pic. Now often this makes for a good laugh, but I began to wonder if more people - or fewer for that matter - would read them with grad school like article titles. So...I started to create new titles for the plots of trashy novels I have read. For instance Sabrina Jeffries' The Pirate Lord could in fact be "Raging Lust: A Study of Early 19th Century Piracy and its Affect on English Aristocratic Culture". I mean who wouldn't want to read that. Another example of a more contemporary book, Mary Janice Davidson's The Royal Pain might have been entitled "The Modern Monarchy: Penguins, International Politics, and Royal Courtship in 'The Last Frontier'". Once you begin it is kind of addicting...but then again that might just be me!!!

No comments: