Saturday, March 11, 2006

From the lover's in love at the centre of stage...

MY EYES!!!! MY EYES!!!!!! This has to be one of the scariest things I have ever seen in my life...and I have to say I have seen some amazing things...You see, ChickLit told me about this brilliant site, Smart Bitches Who Love Trashy Novels. With a tagline of "All of the Romance, None of the Bullshi@t", you know you are in for a good time. Little did I know I was in for a laugh-so-hard-starting- crying-and-nearly- peed-my-pants kind of funny. We stumbled upon a weekly ritual of the site, in which 2 woman - at least I figure they are women, but you never know- comment or in most cases completely mock bad romance novel covers. If that doesn't seem to funny, take a look at the pic to the left and then tell me you didn't start laughing again...ChickLit and I made it back a couple of months before I had to go. It sucks having to share a computer,but at least this way we can spread out the hilarity for a couple of days. Lord knows I need a good laugh that isn't about my life or thesis!!
You see I have often wondered about the covers of romance novels ever since I had to shelve them at the bookstore. For an industry that pulls in $1.2 billion a year and accounts for 54.9% of all mass-market paperback fiction sold (also 39.3% of all fiction sold), you'd think the publishers could come up with better covers. But apparently they are doing something right. I recently found out that apparently around 64 million Americans read at least one romance novel in a given year and of those people, 78% were women while 22% were men. And hey, if that didn't blow your mind enough , 42% of those readers hold a BA or higher.
Now I know statistics can say whatever, but still those are some pretty impressive numbers for a genre of books that boasts Fabio look-a-likes on their covers....

No comments: