Saturday, March 04, 2006

I might as well enjoy my life and watch the stars play...

Although I could devote an entire blog to the joy of buying new shoes yesterday, I will instead fulfill a promise I made and publish my Oscar predictions. If years of watching the Oscars have taught me anything, it is that the people/film I hope will win, never seems to. So...here goes people. I am trying to go into this years awards with as little emotion as possible, but we all know that will fail. I mean to be honest, as far as I am concerned, the Academy missed some notable films...Batman Begins anyone?!?! So with far too much cynicism but without further ado...
Best Picture
Will: Brokeback Mountain

Wish: Brokeback Mountain
All gay cowboy jokes aside, this film could have failed in a million and one ways and yet stands as one of the most touching love stories I have ever watched.
Best Actress
Will: Reese Witherspoon.
Wish: Keira Knightley
Come on...I know Ms. Witherspoon deserves it for Walk the Line, but I love P & P...gotta pick Lizzie Bennett!!
Best Actor
Will: Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Wish: Either Heath Ledger or Joaquin Phoenix
I am perfectly willing to admit I really didn't care for Capote, but the Oscars are not always about the current film, but a body of work and Hoffman has both Heath and Joaquin beat here. Besides, I am sure that Mr. Phoenix will get his one day soon...who knows about Ledger, but any girl who loved 10 Things I Hate About You can dream!
Best Supporting Actress
Will: Rachel Weisz
Wish:Michelle Williams
Although I love Rachel - who doesn't love the Mummy films or About a Boy - I thought Michelle conveyed so much emotion with mere glances and often stole the film away from the boys...what more can I say? That is the sign of a great performance.

Best Supporting Actor
Will: Paul Giamatti
Wish: Matt Dillon or Jake Gyllenhaal
Giamatti will win not because Cinderella Man was fab, but because he was denied last year for Sideways - another film I didn't really care for...that's the Oscars for you!!

Best Director
Will: Ang Lee
Wish: Ang Lee
Despite his pronouncement after filming Sense & Sensibility that he would never work with sheep again...ah the rest is history...
Screenplay - Original
Will: Crash
Wish: Crash
Because it is such a fantastic film and not up for much, I think it will do well in this category...at least in theory.
Screenplay - Adapted
Will: Brokeback Mountain
Wish: Brokeback Mountain
Unlike last year's Return of the King, I actually think that the sweeping wins - unabashed hope here people - are deserved not guiltily given.
Cinematography
To be honest I have no clue who will win the category, but I hope it is Batman Begins since it got undeservedly snubbed from everything. Although it was a blockbuster, the acting was perfection - with the exception of Mrs. Cruise - and the dark feel of the movie was a breath of fresh air.
Animated
Will: Wallace and Gromit
Wish: Wallace and Gromit
I don't think a corpse bride has any real chance of beating out a cheese loving inventor and his trusty sidekick...not that I think it should.

Well, there you have it. As for all the others, I really could care less. For any of the artistic categories such as costume and scenery, I hope for P & P, but then again I would hope that no matter what! Mr. Darcy will always have my loyalty...

No comments: