Sunday, March 05, 2006

must be the clouds in my eyes...

I believe it is official now...the Oscars show is where comedic people go to die. For some reason, this hosting job sucks the life and funny out of hysterically amusing people. That is the only way I can explain it. I had high hopes for Jon Stewart, I am not too proud to admit that, but alas...he too has failed at a hosting gig previously stunk up by Whoopi, Dave Letterman, and let us not forget last year's victim Chris Rock. It is almost like it is a ritual yearly sacrificial offering to appease the Oscar gods or something. Just a theory. Anyway, it saddens me, but one must face the facts...Jon Stewart didn't do so hot. Some of the bits worked and by the end, he had a bit more rhythm, but for the most part everything fell flat. Aside from the political style ads, Ben Stiller coming out in a green onesy, and the whole make-up joke, the show for the most part was forgettable.
I did love the shock at Crash winning. ..and man did people look shocked. I enjoyed this film, but didn't think it had a chance against Brokeback. Man was I wrong, although it does make you wonder if perhaps the Academy just didn't have the courage to award a gay-themed film as Best Picture of the year. Oh well...at least I liked Crash unlike most of the other winners in recent years...Chicago, The English Patient, Million Dollar Baby, A Beautiful Mind...the list could go on and on and on...I think I will cling to that for awhile!!

At least until nexct year's show.

No comments: