Tuesday, March 07, 2006

You won't shout, you're spoon fed!

So after watching P & P for the millionth time - I honestly lost count years ago - I decided to learn a new word a day. If I am truthful, which ChickLit would probably argue isn't often, this came from watching quite a few BBC costume dramas, some good ol' Shakespeare, and some good early films recently. You see, after I watch these films, I always lament the fact that I never have such witty & wordy comebacks. English - at least the version I speak - lacks for interesting replies and quips.
For instance, Lizzie doesn't just tell Darcy no, she snarkly replies "From the first moment I met you, your arrogance and conceit, your selfish disdain for the feelings of others made me realize that you were the last man in the world I could ever be prevailed upon to marry." Come on...you know you love it. Or in another scene, instead of simply stating the fact she doesn't like him, she comments "It would be most inconvenient since I swore to loathe him for eternity." Classic people, classic.
Before I get carried away and people actually comment on my blog, I should point out I realize that not everyone in England in 18th and 19th centuries spoke like that. Several people have made sure I remember that fact, but as with most things in life...I simply choose to ignore that small bit of truthiness (oh how I love you Stephen Colbert). Therefore, as I stated in the beginning of this blog, I have started a new learning regime: one new word a day that I not only learn, but also have to share it with someone; although spelling correctly is optional as always. So here is today's word, chosen at random from Webster's New World Dictionary: polydactyl. Apparently, this refers to a person or animal with more than the normal number of fingers or toes. So there you go folks. I actually had a friend in high school who suffered from polydactlyism, although I had no clue of the actual scientific name. So there you go, not only did you get a mesmerizing discussion of the finer quotes from the new P & P film, but also learned a new word. My work is done...

No comments: