Friday, April 07, 2006

And somewhere in the darkness the gambler, he broke even...

Bad news... ChickLit informed me today that Robert Jordan, author of my beloved - even if the last couple of books sucked - Wheel of Time fantasy series, has unfortunately been diagnosed with a rare blood disease called amyloidosis. According to Jordan,

"Untreated, it would eventually make my heart unable to function any longer and I would have a median life expectancy of one year from diagnosis. Fortunately, I am set up for treatment, which expands my median life expectancy to four years...In any case, I intend to live considerably longer than that...I sat down and figured out how long it would take me to write all of the books I currently have in mind, without adding anything new and without trying rush anything. The figure I came up with was thirty years. Now, I'm fifty-seven, so anyone my age hoping for another thirty years is asking for a fair bit, but I don't care. That is my minimum goal. I am going to finish those books, all of them, and that is that."

Although I am deeply saddened by this news and I hope that Mr. Jordan keep on kicking, I can't help but feel a bit selfish and fear that I will never get a conclusion for the WOT series. I know it seems a bit rude, but I have spent a decade - nearly half my life - devoted to this series and I just can't image never knowing how it ends. Well there is that fear and the whole Tolkien syndrome in which the author's offspring attempts to satisfy readers with his sub-par storytelling. I don't know if Robert Jordan has any children, but I am sure some obscure nephew will take it upon themselves to finish what was started. Oh the horror...the horror. Perhaps he can just outline the ending for us all...just in case. Hey you can't criticize me for at least hoping!!

No comments: