Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Like a fly on a wall...

Well, it turns out that ants enjoy constant rain and an overly-saturated ground as much as I enjoy visiting quilt shops with my mother - a task I might add that actually ranks on my "Ordinary Task That I Hate" List. Anyway, I bring this up only because I awoke this morning to find my parents battling an army of ants in the kitchen. Luckily, the invading insect militia made a b-line for the sink - ironically full of water - and stayed away from any of the cupboards or food-stuff in general. Almost makes you feel bad for their horrible death by RAID…almost.
Anyway, the whole debacle reminded me of that Simpson's ep in which Homer travels to space in the new NASA publicity program. Due to his lack of experience at being weightless, he crashes into an ant farm on board, releasing all of its inhabitants into the space shuttle just as Ken Brockman begins a televised interview. (I might add that the ep also features a singing James Taylor, but that is neither here nor there.) The live feed in the shuttle gets cut just as the viewer see a giant ant heading toward the camera leading Brockman to consider that the spacecraft has been conquered “by a master race of giant space ants.” My favorite part, though, is a bit later when Brockman concludes that:

"One thing is for certain, there is no stopping them; the ants will soon be here. And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted TV personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to...toil in their underground sugar caves."

Although I doubt that a colony of ants in the kitchen is part of a larger insect army sent to bring about an apocalypse, I do wonder that if the weather doesn’t clear up soon if I will be seeing more and more in the house. Fortunately, killing insects/spiders isn’t on the "Ordinary Task That I Hate" List. There is something at least!

No comments: