Monday, April 17, 2006

Goodbye...easier said than done...

Originally, I planned a retrospective look at the classic 1986 film Highlander (yeah I couldn’t believe it is that old either). Although there can only be one, I recently watched the 10th Anniversary edition and discovered a big difference between Highlander and the Highlander I remember. Anyhoo…all that got completely discarded when my computer crashed on Good Friday. Ironically, I was in the process of backing up the whole system when it died. Unfortunately, the hard drive got completely wiped which basically means I lost everything including photos, iTunes, and of course all of my grad school papers including a minimal part of my thesis. Luckily, I had most of my thesis info backed up.
One of my computer profs at Western once made the joke that nobody's ever been killed in a computer crash, but when it happens they always wish they were dead! On Friday, I would have completely agreed. I have recovered a bit, but it will take quite a while before I am back to whatever is considered ‘normal’ these days. This experience, however, has revealed how dependent and connected I get to my computers. It almost feels like I lost a member of my family…and not just any relative, but one I actually like.
The loss of Mikey – I know it is a bit creepy, but by dad named the computer – hit me hard…harder than I ever would have imagined. All in all, I came to the realization that for better or worse, I have begun to see my computer as more of a companion than simply a machine. Therefore, I have decided to devote all of this week to the untimely death of my former computer as well as introducing all of my readers – all 4 of you – to my new computer Apollo. I will publish the eulogy for Mikey on Friday and both ChickLit and FemeNazi might also contribute their thoughts on this poignant and heartrending event.

1 comment:

Crystal Jordan said...

My sympathy to your family during your time of mourning.