Monday, May 08, 2006

I think I love you...

So…I often lurk on message boards, but seldom actually leave a comment let alone create a post. Anyway, recently I have decided to listen to Wheel of Time. Now this might seem simple enough, but as with most things in my life, turned out to be far more complicated and expensive.
I’ll explain more, but first a short parenthetical digression. You see…audiobooks are brilliant...simply bloody brilliant. They combine the best of childhood bedtimes – my mom or dad always read to me – with one of my current long-lasting obsessions. Anyway, I have started listening to Wheel of Time on CD. It should take me at least 297 hours (approx. 12.5 days). I figure I have at least a month’s worth of listening material.
So…after looking at the cost of the WOT audiobooks – even used they start at $40 – I decided to see if I could rent or borrow them from somewhere. Logically, I started with the library, but unfortunately, for the most part, Sac County libraries only own the abridged versions that cut down the 29 hours of the unabridged to 6.5 hours. That is if they carry the audiobook at all. Anyway, I decided to post a message on one of my fav WOT sites – wotmania (yeah I know a good portion of you lost a bit of respect for me and are not trying to stifle your laughter…) For the most part, the replies were of little use, but one did catch my fancy. Under the title of “well, I don’t have the audiobooks, BUT” Like the title, the message, was priceless:

"You can rent me for a small sum, and I'll ride shotgun during your commutes and read the books aloud to you.
I charge 300 a week. Very reasonable I say.
I'll even make noise effects during the story to make it more life like."


Although it seems like a tempting offer, it seems a bit too expensive. Thankfully a bunch of different companies have begun to copy Netflix – oh how I love Netflix – and so for a very reasonable monthly cost, I can get all of the audiobooks published. Ah, perhaps my grandmother was right about that whole “where there’s a will, there’s a way” stuff. All I know is that at the moment I am living it up in geekdom and I don’t care!!!

No comments: