Thursday, June 22, 2006

Because I Got High...

I’m not one to become teary-eyed over some ‘inspirational’ story. Sure I’ll weep uncontrollably at some Hallmark Hall of Fame tv movie or a Lifetime show, but you have to draw the line somewhere. All that said…today I got emotional over an ‘inspirational’ story; luckily it was written by Kevin Smith and included a whole lot of cursing just plain vulgarity (I’m not sure if that is a word or not, but I’m using it!!)
Some of you know of my love of Kevin Smith flicks…even Jersey Girl. Since Smith usually casts mostly unknowns sprinkled with heavy hitters, I never really paid any attention to the actors. It isn’t that I don’t love the guys who play Dante and Randal, I just don’t really want to think of them as ‘real’ people. They same goes for Jay & Silent Bob – the original hetero-life partners. I heard rumors concerning Jason Mewes’s (Jay) drug addictions, but never put a whole lot of thought into it.

Recently I heard that one of the reasons Smith decided to make Clerks II, stemmed from a promise made to Jason Mewes. If Mewes could make it through rehab and stay sober, Smith would make the film. I thought “How sweet…he must really care about the guy!”, but that was about it. Lurking on a message board – I don’t usually participate, I just simply lurk – I kept reading various versions of the basic story until today I happened to discover that Smith had written a 9 part article detailing not only Mewes's addiction and how that affected both their friendship and different films over on his blog, My Boring-Ass Life. (If you don't read this blog on a daily basis...START NOW!!!) Anyway, the article entitled Me and My Shadow is an interesting read that I encourage everyone to check out. I have never personally dealt with drug addiction, but I understand alcoholism first hand. I should warn that the sucker is long, but once you get going, the time just flies by. All said, my respect for Kevin Smith has grown exponentially as well as my love of Jay & Silent Bob!! Snootchie Bootchies!!


No comments: