Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Of Garryowen in glory!

Despite the photogenic and ‘studly’ qualities of modern Hollywood stars, nobody embodies irresistible manliness like Errol Flynn. Sure, he has a funny name and a destructive personality, not to mention he died in 1959, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t one damn fine looking man. The current leading me of Hollywood, especially Orland Bloom and those of his effeminate-but-I-can-swordfight-somewhat-convincingly ilk, should really study him in a seminar or something. Perhaps at a mandatory 'Intro to How a Male Lead Should Act in Action/Swashbuckling Film's. I can see it now...perhaps offered in a series with such other courses as "Wooing with Humor & Style: Cary Grant & Romance" or "Musical Comedy for Adults & Children: The Genius of Julie Andrews". You get the gist...
Some of you might be wondering why I bring this up…of course most of you gave up trying to understand my patterns of thought years ago! Anyway, I watched the 1941 classic They Died With Their Boots On last night. The film is actually the last collaboration between Flynn and Olivia de Havilland and also features a young Anthony Quinn as Crazy Horse. I never thought I would claim to love a film about Custer, but it has happened. If you haven’t seen the flick, I recommend it. But first a few disclaimers before I start getting angry e-mails...Keep in mind, the film is not trying to be historically accurate at all, although it does present an interesting interpretation of Custer’s life from the perspective of his adoring widow. And if that wasn’t enough…apparently 2 stuntmen died during production; one fell onto his sword while the other just fell off his horse while drunk. If that doesn’t arose curiosity, I don’t know what can!!

No comments: