Tuesday, July 25, 2006

How do you afford your rock 'n' roll lifestyle?

After letting my mind wander I work, I came to the realization I would make an awesome one woman entourage. I mean I have all of the qualifications. I love to obsess about things. I can be encouraging when I want to be. I love the best things in life, but can’t afford the rock & roll lifestyle on my on. More importantly, I am quite willing to sit back and reap the rewards others earn. Why work hard for something if you can just tag along with successful people? I mean, this would solve so many of my current tribulations…both the personal and financial!
I bring this up only because as I write, ChickLit is on her way to the RWA (Romance Writers of America) conference in Atlanta. If I haven’t already mentioned it, ChickLit – as her name implies – is an aspiring romance writer. You see…I have a large stake in her aspiring career. When she makes it big in the romance book world, which of course she will, I make it big in my everyday life. (Note: she has already sold a number of books/book ideas to Cobblestone, an e-book publisher.)
Y
ou might be asking yourself, why do I deserve this? Well, although we have completely different taste in trashy books, I have been wholeheartedly supportive of this endeavor. I have even had a whole conversation concerning mermaid sex. I deserve something fabulous just for that. And for my help (not just in the mermaid matter, but for years of support and friendship), ChickLit has promised me a carriage house on her property along with a pool boy and a stipend (separate from the pool boy). Keep in mind, I’m not sure if we will ever have a pool, but those are details I chose not to think about.

Now before you think me cold and calculating – which I kind of am, but let’s forget that for the moment – I will continue to be the play the role of uber-supportive best friend. But why not pick up some extra free-lance entourage work in the meantime. I’m figuring I have a few years before my ship comes in. So…what’s the issue, you might ask?It sounds like the perfect job for you! The problem, you see, is marketing. How do you find that kind of work? It’s like becoming a film critic or a trophy wife (although I lack the height and boobs for that job): you have to work on skills for years and eventually someone hopefully gives you the opportunity to put all your hard work to use. If only they had personal ads for this kind of thing…

No comments: