Thursday, July 13, 2006

Is it getting better or do you feel the same?

It has recently come to my attention that perhaps life doesn’t reach the pinnacles of wonder and ecstasy that I once associated with adulthood. The real tragedy is that I apparently I spent the supposed “best years of my life” in high school fantasying about a reality that only exists on either the big or small screens and in trashy novels. I didn’t enjoy high school at all and figured that once I reached a mature age all would fall into place. It now seems that the “best years of my life” will actually be the sadistic grad school years…just think about that for a moment. Don’t get me wrong, I meant some life-long friends up at Western, but constant concerns about money and the idiotic nature of academia – not to mention 6 quarters of TAing hell – somewhat marred the overall experience.
I think Dante Hicks sums it up best in Clerks while debating which Star Wars film hat the better ending: Empire or Jedi. Empire had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets.” Now I understand this is not the perfect quote, but it sums up my current thinking. I don’t mean to be such a downer, but at the moment, I just can’t find much to be pleased about. I know this will pass, but at the moment I want to be a little melodramatic…it is the emotional state I am living at this moment. For some reason, I can’t seem to find a happy medium in life. Apparently, I aspire to live in a world that doesn’t exist. Sure I could choose to try and change the world, but at the end of the day, despite my claims to the opposite, I am quite apathetic.

So, I think I will simply retreat back into the comforting mirage of a self-fabricated reality I have built up over the years. Hey has anyone seen the Film 4 advert with Judi Dench dressed as a lobster and Ewan McGregor as a tomato? Or the fanvid of Alanis Morisette’s “Univited” featuring clips from the new P & P? I'm addicted to YouTube. See…the world is already righting itself already…

No comments: