Wednesday, September 27, 2006

If you need, you need me to be with you...

I wasn’t sure if this blog would make it onto the internet. For once I actually had my blog ready to go at 8am - yes I actually get up around 6am every morning now…scary I know - but I had to wait for approval from ChickLit before I published it. You see, today’s blog deals with my somewhat harsh thoughts concerning the season opener of “Under New Management” Gilmore Girls. My 1 sentence conclusion: An episode that signals the demise of GG into not a bad show per se, just a slightly watered down version; kinda like good ol' fashion non-slash fanfic.

You see in the end, it all comes down to loyalty and showing a united front to the world on the important matters – like tellie programs and jokes involving unfortunate or simply bad puns. It is one of the clauses in the BFF contract I signed. I may disagree with her choice of obsessions privately, but out in the ‘real’ world I stick by her choices, because let’s face it...she has to stand by mine. I almost feel bad!

But back to my thoughts on GG. Although, I am not a GG devotee, I would say I have watched approximately 60% of the show, but the reason I tuned into last night was to see for myself if the departure of Amy Sherman-Palladino made a difference. Most of the critics that got an early glance at the season all said that everything was up to par...but I had to see for myself. Within 5 minutes, I was disappointed. The dialog seemed like a pale imitation of GG witty banter - like good fanfic - and the show's pop culture references made a nose dive. You don't even want to get me started on the deterioration of Lorelai's character or the fact that with the dumbing down of the script Alexis Bledel's 'acting' seems even worse. But in the end, what can you do?!?!! Every show must die. It's like that great 60's hit..."A time to laugh, a time to weep". I guess it's GG's turn to cry...

No comments: